Friday, February 27, 2009

Feb 27: Pants that fit

I bought some new clothes last night. Big sale, plus coupon that expires tomorrow. I bought a ton of tops, but only one pair of pants. Which is strange, because god knows I need pants that fit. For the last couple months, I've been making due with a beige cord skirt, a pair of stretchy, swishy black pants, and some jeans I bought in December at my fattest. The jeans (size 14) are now incredibly comfortable, even while sitting. They are just the right amount of baggy. Yesterday I pulled out a pair of size 12 pants and deemed they were not too tight to wear anymore. In retrospect, I probably could have waited another week or two. (And will.)

When I was clothes shopping, I tried on a really nice pair of grey pants. Encouraged by fitting into my size 12s yesterday morning, I pulled a size 12 off the rack to try them on. In the fitting room I was like, what was I thinking. These will never fit. I was pleasantly surprised when I put my first leg in and didn't feel an impossible constriction around the thunderous thigh before I even pulled them up and attempted to do up the waist. I was able to do them up, but they were too tight to wear right now.

I thought about buying them anyway, reasoning that they will fit in a few weeks at the rate I'm going. It's the old numbers game wreaking havoc on my psyche once again. I want to be able to say I'm a size smaller, and take that as another small numeric indication of my success.

But I realized that the more important thing is having clothes that fit the body I'm in right now. I feel so much more confident, energized, and motivated when I look good in my clothes. I know it's a weird irony; looking good in size 14 pants makes me want to lose more weight so I can't wear the pants anymore. In the end, I bought the grey pants in a size 14. I realize I might only wear them for a month or two (fat chance I would ever get off my ass and get them tailored) but the motivation of feeling good for those two months will be well worth the $36 I paid for them.


3 comments:

  1. Ah, sizes. Multiple sizes.

    I swear half of what I put in the truck to get here was clothes. And no, it's not because I have that much to wear. It's because I have to have clothes for all the incarnations of me.

    It is an irony that you need clothes you feel good in so that you can more quickly not fit into the size you are. But it is the way it goes and it's smart to take care of yourself in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock, LQ!!

    I think you are wise too. I just bought some new jeans that fit, and already they are feeling ever so slightly baggy, but still, it is so important to have clothes that fit and feel good on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taar, for sure I have the same overstuffed closet full of multiple sizes. I am thinking of doing a serious purge, though, just to get real with myself and to make some room for the Miaouw when he moves here this summer. Purging is always good for the soul. Ideally there will be purging of clothes that are too big for me, but that's a ways off.

    Anyway, I wore the new grey pants yesterday and felt absolutely smashing in them!

    Dylan I love it when jeans feel slightly baggy. I love it when my pants aren't horrendously wrinkled around the hips/waist/crotch area at the end of the day from all the stress being put on them! Congrats on your bagginess, love.

    ReplyDelete