Saturday, March 07, 2009

Mar 7: I did it!

Alright guys, this is it. I am committed. I just registered for the Sporting Life 10 k run on Sunday, May 3rd in Toronto. I can't believe I did that! I am so psyched!

I also decided to take the Jazzman's advice and do it in support of Camp Oochigeas, which is an Ontario camp for kids with cancer. I work at the Canadian Cancer Society and I was happy when I saw that Sporting Life is working with this organization for any runners who want to raise money in association with their effort. I feel like I have taken my health for granted for so long, putting so much crap into my body and not appreciating its potential in terms of achieving and maintaining fitness... it doesn't seem fair that these kids are robbed of their health at such a young age.

Anyway, if you want to support the camp (or just leave a message of support), my fundraising page is here:

http://community.ooch.org/netcommunity/linnyqat.


Whoohoo! Go me!!!

PS Sorry the measurements viddie is not up yet. I recorded the whole thing, found out the mike was turned off so there was no sound, decided to just make it "instrumental" and put in a bunch of goofy captions with an MIA song as accompaniment, uploaded it to YouTube and then it got censored because of the song. Gah. I didn't have the energy to do it over again (I was sick this week, plus lazy). I'll do a weigh in and measurements viddie tomorrow, promise.


5 comments:

  1. such a great cause. those kids are extra motivation to run. going to check out your page now.

    xoxot

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, girl!

    I agree with Trish; seeing children whose lives are affected so deeply by illness, it is such a strong incentive to do whatever we can. (In the hospital as a child, I saw kids who had spent their whole lives there; it was heartbreaking and stays with me to this day.)

    So, needless to say, I am proud to be one of your sponsors, and will be staying tuned to your progress, both in terms of your commitment to your health and to the race.

    hugs
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trish, absolutely, a wonderful cause. I will be thinking of those kids every time I start to get fatigued during training, or doubt myself or want to quit. Thanks for the support.

    Diane! How wonderful! Thank you so much. You know I have worked for so long at the CCS and I have never encountered kids with cancer. Sometimes it's easy for me to lose sight of what the bigger picture is, as far as what it is that I do, since my job is really so far removed from the day to day struggle of people fighting cancer. This makes it real for me.

    Anyway, your support is incredibly generous and truly appreciated.

    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey LQ,

    Just wanted to say I think it's terrific that you signed up for the 10K! Great cause, too.

    I clicked the link to sponsor you, but it wanted my credit card, which I didn't have on me at the time. (I guess I was expecting a pledge that I could send in later.) I'll go back with my CC later.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jazzy, thanks for the support. I'll keep you posted on my training progress...

    ReplyDelete