Saturday, January 24, 2009

Jan 24: Jenny Craig is stalking me.

I've been going to Jenny Craig off and on since 2002. Which is maybe why they are so reluctant to let me go as a customer. But I am stahtin' ta get irruhtated.

The thing about JC that drives me nuts is the out-of-the-box training that their "consultants" receive. I've had seven of them over the years and while I've really clicked with a couple of them and adjusted to a couple of them, I wound up quitting as a result of the other three. I mean, not just because of them; in all three cases, I was done with the regimen by the time I quit, but I might have toughed it out if I hadn't been so annoyed by the consultants.

I'm sure they get paid shit. The high degree of turnover would seem to suggest so. Whenever I get a new one, we go through a couple of months of them doing all these standard, stupid questions that I feel like an arse answering: "So, what's your motivation for this week?" Uhhh, the same as it was last week. Be less fat.

The other thing that makes me feel stupid answering the questions is, they write it all down. Like it fucking matters! Is anybody gonna check six months from now what my social calendar was last week, and how I planned to deal with the diversity pot luck at work on Wednesday? Or how many times I exercised? Who cares? Quit recording everything -- it's weird! Let's just have a conversation.

Also: they call you every week, without fail, to confirm your appointment a day or two before it's scheduled. Even if you have a standing appointment for the same time every week and have done for a couple of years. I remember, with my first two consultants, I lobbied long and hard (and ultimately fruitlessly) to get them to stop calling me to confirm; same time next week, I got it. It's obviously just drilled into them as standard operating procedure. And I don't think they're encouraged to think for themselves, use their own judgment, work with clients according to the client's needs as opposed to by the company handbook. It just made me feel like a number.

Don't let the back door hit you in the ass on your way sneaking out
Anyway, in the fall, one of my favourite consultants, Regina, decided to go to teacher's college, which is awesome for her. For me, not so much. In her place I got Mary Victoria. My resolve had already been waning, I was tired of the menu. And I didn't have it in me to break in a new consultant. She was nice enough, don't get me wrong, but so often when I was talking I felt like she was seeing right through me. So I stopped going in late October. I didn't tell her I was stopping. I had a bad week and skipped my appointment, and the bad week stretched into a bad month, and then two, and by then my weight was outrageous, and... whatever, I quit.

But Mary Victoria will NOT. STOP. CALLING ME! Seriously, I haven't been in for an appointment in three months and she still calls and leaves messages to say she's "just checking in". I never answer. I know I could clear the whole thing up and get her to stop calling if I just picked up the phone and told her I'm taking a break. But I mean, come on. Hasn't she figured that out by herself yet? I feel like there is an unspoken battle of wills going on here. Well... okay... she has spoken. At this point, I just feel that on principle I should not be forced to break my silence. Isn't the customer supposed to be always right? Even when it comes to their method of communication? I think choosing to not answer the phone or return a call for three straight months is an effective (if chickenshit) method of communicating that I DO NOT WANT TO TALK TO YOU.

Lately, when I get a call from her, I'm so pissed that she's still calling that I want to pick up the phone and totally lay into her. But then I remember the battle of wills. I am kinda curious to see how long she will drag this out.

I'll keep you posted.

8 comments:

  1. Hey, Joy here...this reminds me of the time I somehow decided EST might be something to try in the mid-eighties and they called me so much it skeeved me out and made me think "No way do I want to be involved with these pushy freaks!" So really, wow, this is just so '80s, man.
    Also, I've logged in some serious time this weekend on my brown couch. I found a term for this kind of tv, internet, gameplaying thing awhile ago called "process addiction." As much as I hate (and yet secretly love) to pathologize my behavior, the description fit. And, I came by it honestly, as my great-grandmother used to sit in a chair for hours on end playing solitaire. Of course, I'm not rushing out to see a shrink about this, but the moment of recognition and awareness was pretty good.
    Anyhoo...say no to Jenny, and yes to...fresh air? Yeah, that's it. And veggies. Whoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and p.s. from Joy--
    We have the EXACT SAME measurements. spooky! Even in the "THUNDER!" Area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did JC for a while, but didn't like the format of it all, or the food.

    I do WW sometimes, the online one, where it is helpful for tracking my food and being aware of amounts and choices. I like the independence of it without having to leave my house to check in with People about How I'm Doing.

    This is far better. So I may do WW online again, to help with the food part, but check in here for the motivation and support part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy, awesome. A couple of years ago an acquaintance I'd mistaken for a friend dragged me out to the made-over version of EST that they now call Landmark Seminars. Skeeeee-veeeeee. I broke up with the friend and her freaky husband (who "only wanted me to find someone to love the way they had" - gah! Fuckawf!) and it's now a footnote that I can call up at times like these in order to solidify our bond.

    Although our thunderous thighs and naturally dormant state would seem to be sufficient.

    I had a big-ass plate of roasted vegetables for dinner tonight. Whoo!

    Dylan, I like the JC food alright, but now that I'm all smug and healthy, I find the menu sort of disturbing. It worked for me to a certain extent, but ultimately was not a healthy lifestyle for me to sustain.

    As for DubDub online, I did a whole blog about those corporate fucks and how they retroactively charged me when I negelected to cancel after my pre-paid three month period was over. Stuff like that makes me apeshit. But I do like their system for recording stuff online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few pals that have done the Jenny, WW, and Nutrisystem. Some okay results, but nothing long term. I couldn't deal with that much interfere- er, motivation. My only 'formal' experience was with the dreaded Slim Fast cans-o-joy. The first time I didn't include an exercise regimen & so got nothing. The second time I started doing a 20 minute Pilates mat workout (on tape in the privacy of my livingroom) 3x a week and amazingly it worked. Like you hitting the workout at night, I'd wait about 2hrs after dinner and get to the mat. Lost 25# over 3 months and kept it off with continued Pilates for several years, until I had a health issue.

    Regained some of it since and hope to replicate my results minus the dreaded S-F. (With my newly recognized dairy allergy, about the only thing fast with the Slim is my ass so that's out now.) Like you it's up to exercise and what I put in my mouth.

    Congrats on dumping 6#. I'm right behind you. (That's figuratively.) Onward and inward!

    BP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey beepster, sorry I let this comment languish unanswered for too long... it's funny how you think of JC/WW as "interference" or the gentler "motivation". I agree, but yet I found over the years that I could not be trusted to my own devices and needed to be accountable to an external force of JUDGMENT. Damn, what does that say about me? Underdeveloped superego or some such, I suspect.

    Maybe it's your years of Catholic guilt that render external judgment unnecessary?

    Anyway, yeah. Slimfast. I have a 7 year old tin in my cupboard that is 3/4 full. But I don't mind the cookie dough bars. (Except I would buy a box, eat one for lunch, feel unsatisfied, have another, and then... just keep eating them. And they didn't even taste all that good. But I have food issues...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL This is way too cute....
    I love it...
    And I completly understand where you are coming from with it...
    I said this soooo many times to them, they just don't get it....
    Anyways your doing better things now :-)
    WAY TO GO!!!!!
    Miss you tons

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, it's Sarah, one of the consultants I clicked with!!! As you can see, she is awesome and truly interested and concerned about the health and well-being of me, her former client from a couple years ago. Nice! Anyway, I don't mean to diss the JC; we're all trying to figure out a way to battle our demons and Jenny works for a lot of people. Especially if you're lucky enough to have someone like Sarah looking out for you. I did great with her on my side.

    Now we are all here providing support and encouragement to one another, so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete