Wednesday, May 18, 2011

May 18: A kinder, gentler race

Hello, broccoli florets!

I come baring news of– wait a second.... I come bearing news of disintegrating fat molecules and non-death-inducing marathon participation.

I didn't get weighed last week, but I did get back on the wagon. I gotta admit, it was tough. The first couple days I kept wanting to chuck everything and dive into a vat of Kraft Dinner and eat my way out. You would think after getting poisoned as a result of over-indulgence that I would steer clear of more poison, but the opposite happens: once the floodgates open, it's really hard to shut them again. So I had a few days of really struggling to hold temptation at bay. Some days I really, really miss eating everything in sight. Of course, when I'm in the throes of it, it is rarely as satisfying as I imagine it will be. Which is not to say it is not satisfying.

Anyway, this week's loss was .8, bringing the grand total to 21.6 pounds.

On Sunday, my mom and I did our annual half-marathon walk, and I have the contraband "proof" to show for it. I like the irony but also hope I don't get hunted down and sued by the folks who want me to pay $14.95 for that image, sans watermark. Anyway, it was our best walking time ever (3 hours, 38 minutes - we usually come in around 3:45ish). Possibly this was because we just wanted to get out of the drizzly, shitty weather. For my mom, the walk was just a warm-up: she is doing the full marathon walk in Ottawa at the end of the month. Go, Marathon Jan!!

Walking 21 kilometres is not exactly a punishing workout, but it does strain the joints, especially in the rainy cold. I recovered pretty quickly this year, though (especially compared to last fall, when I decided to run as much as I could, since my mom was out with a knee injury. It was a totally spontaneous decision that I paid for over the next week - rolling over in bed was painful for the first two days, and I think I probably looked like a city slicker after a cattle drive whenever I was forced to stand or walk.) I gotta give props to L-Mac2, who has signed up to run the half-marathon this fall in the Toronto Waterfront Marathon. Girl's got the bug for it. I went out for a 5k run with her and some folks from work last week and she gallantly stayed behind with me and encouraged me to finish the damn thing. Goddamn I hate running. I have no capacity for pain and suffering. And I wonder, why does there have to be pain and suffering?



4 comments:

  1. Wow, I believe you, I believe you! And hey, that doesn't look like pain and suffering on your face...

    Congratulations!

    xo
    sng

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy hell you look happy in that picture!
    Thanks for the shout out, but really, no matter how you get across that finish line, walking running, crawling, you're still a half-marathoner, several times over.
    And last week's run, you were right there, barely what I would call behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. L-Qat: I love that pic! And congratulations on the .8!! Keep it up!
    Oh how i WISH i could share some good news with you! Only moments ago i was having a sumptuous slice of cheesecake as an encore to mac and cheese! The only positive thing i have to report is that i gave up Funny Bones!!

    Keep up the great work, and i hope you'll post more often!

    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. L-Qat: I forgot. I'm going to use your comments space as a version of the whiteboard I have hanging in my kitchen. I just stepped on the scale- 243.6 pounds (I'm 6 foot tall). In my prime I was usually around 185. I guess ihave a little work to do!
    And HELLO to Dae! :)

    ReplyDelete