Sunday, May 01, 2011

May 1: Thank god THAT's over

Greetings hero worshipers,

OY. This morning was the dreaded Sporting Life 10k run. Big shout out to the Ladies of the Cancer who all ran awesome times. Particularly proud of my girl L-Mac2, who really encouraged me to do the run, despite my lack of conditioning. She did amazing. Well, they all did. Me, on the other hand, not so much. I ran a saggy-assed 1:18:30, which is 11.5 minutes slower than last year. Sigh. Hard not to feel like a total schlep in the wake of it. I think I walked almost as much as I ran. It was a really tough slog. Trying my best to feel proud of the fact I went out and did it, despite my relative lack of training. I am a bit bummed though.

But the result has me determined to improve, which is a fantastic takeaway. I realize that I really need to have a race to work towards as a goal, to keep me running and trying to improve. So this summer I am going to see about running a few 5k races. There are tons to choose from. Try to get a faster time for a shorter distance. It's less painful and I think more achievable. All the while I will hope to continue losing weight, which should also improve my performance.

Speaking of continued weight loss, Wednesday's weigh in was awesome - another 1.8 pounds lost, which is pretty amazing, the week after a 2 pound loss. I was awarded the coveted 10% key chain for having lost 10% of my starting weight. What a glorious coppery glow it has! Apparently there are charms you get to add to it when you hit milestone numbers like 25 pounds or whatever, I guess to ensure you don't lose your motivation after having achieved this ultimate prize. SWEET!


11 comments:

  1. First of all, round of applause for coming out on a cold, rainy morning when you haven't been training outside. Second, you finished the race when it was a tough slog. Third, I'm really proud of you no matter what you say about it. ;-)

    Anyway, I'm really glad you're going to do more races. I'd never make it out as much as I do if I didn't have that training schedule staring me in the face. You can do it, pal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Trace, thanks for the pep talk. I've decided I'm going to start training outside. Still not sure if I'll do it with you guys or not but I need to get used to it. I train on the treadmill because I "enjoy" it more, but that's partly because it doesn't hurt nearly as much. So I need to get adjusted to the burning lungs that come from outdoor pavement running, so I have more stamina when race day happens.

    Anyway, thanks for always being so encouraging, but never patronizing (y'all, she ran the race in 56 mins! Whoosh!) Truly appreciate your love and support.

    Have a paw ==3

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't think i've run 10k in my entire adult life. (no, really, add up ALL the times i've actually RUN since i turned 18 and i don't think it'll hit 10k) props to you for doing 10 consecutive k's, running/walking/crawling...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're always welcome, Lynds. Paw right back at ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Participating and finishing is a lot more than thousands of other people in Toronto this morning! You did awesome!
    I'm really glad to hear you are still going to set some running goals and go for them! I hope you'll join us at least sometimes on the training runs!

    And thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a cold, wet morning run? bravo! those always feel 10x longer than the sunny ones. what a feat!

    congrats on the 10% weight loss - that's something to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trish, thanks for always coming out and always saying nice stuff. Truly appreciated.

    LMac2, thanks, fwiend. You totally deserve the shout-out. We shall live to run again.

    beachie, well, Tracy is being nice by saying it was a cold, wet morning. The rain didn't start until a couple hours after the race. It was a little cold (around 48° in your language) but that was actually a blessing for a sweat machine like me. But I take your bravo in the spirit it was given. And thanks for the 10% recognition. I am very, very happy about that number.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear L-Qat: Congrats on your run! That's great!

    I've never been in a run before. I'm waiting for one that features laps around a food court!

    By the way- lost another 1.4 for a total of 2. 8 since April 12.. I'm feeling sexier every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy crap, I missed the party here. The Man of Paradox showed up!

    Well, is there going to be a marathon soon? What's that in kilometres and why does the UK still use miles? I'm a curious qat. Anyway, in case you need marathon pointers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear L-Qat: MAJOR SETBACK! My new thing is to go out for a chocolate shake at 3AM. I gained all the weight I lost back and even gained an ounce. A marathon is out of the question for the time being..

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete