Friday, March 05, 2010

Mar 5: I'm still here

Fwiends! The frozen core of my listless heart is at last beginning to thaw. Every day there are drips of sunshine and optimism gathering in a slushy aura that continues to grow. The tide is rising! Soon I'll be overflowing with... happiness? Okay, this metaphor is getting out of hand. I don't want to overstate it, but it's nice to feel something other than... nothing.

I've been faithful to the Microwave Diet for a month now, have lost 8.6 pounds (love the digital accuracy - even if you have a shitty week, you can say you lost .2 pounds), and last week when they took my measurements I was ASTOUNDED to hear I'd dropped almost 12 inches. This from chest (2 inches), waist (4 inches - cha!), pooch aka abdomen (3 inches) and hips (3 inches). Of course my first and lingering reaction is to assume she made errors in every measurement, but even if she was off by an inch at every spot, that's still pretty effin good. So this is encouraging.

Also, sunshine. Warmth. The Olympics. And, I think possibly upping the medication by 50% may be playing a role. But it's so hard to know for sure. There are environmental factors at play, as well as physiological ones, so who knows. It's just good to feel... better, if not great. It's supposed to be 10°C (50° American) and sunny this weekend. Sa-weeeeeet.

Some ladies from work are starting a running group after work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, to train for the Sporting Life 10k, which I'm going to do again this year. Sunday May 2nd - mark your calendars.

And, though I continue to have mixed feelings about my reliance on portioned meals, I do very well on the Jenny Craig program. It's easy to stick to, and there are tasty foods and snacks. I confess I spend much of the time between meals thinking about my next meal, but that's standard procedure. At least I know I'm enjoying the meal, not bitter about what I don't get to eat while I'm stuck eating boiled chicken and mmmmm, broccoli! Tonight I eat my petite Fish and Chips (ketchup food, yessss!) avec salad, plus my eensy chocolate cake with dollop of sugary chocolate icing on top for dessert. I can live with it.

About the only thing that's still pretty meh-inducing is my job, which fails to inspire, frequently enrages, but mostly just bores. My contract comes to an end on July 31, and then I'm taking a bit of a vacation from the working world and office culture. So that's the chocolate bar in front of the horse at the moment. Screw carrots.

How's everybody else doing?


5 comments:

  1. i'm glad you're doing well, spring is good for that. we're getting some real spring weather this weekend, too. and i'm sooo looking forward to not freezing my ass off for a change. i've been kick-boxing lately and have found it to be super challenging and really fun.

    enjoy!
    xoxo
    trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news on the measurements! Now with some sunnier weather out your way, hopefully you'll be able to get out more and get rid of that winter weight you folks out East put on. Keep up the great work! (and you are more than welcome to spend some of your vacation time out here).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Linnyqat! Glad to hear you are feeling that optimism! I am too, at least for moments at a time. I am psyched about the good weather forecasted for the weekend. Alas, I will spend Saturday night having a sleep study done, since my insomnia has reached horrifying proportions. We are just trying to rule out any sleep apnea, and it is believed my insomnia is due to extreme anxiety and depression. If I could get a job (or even a second interview) I think my insomnia would abate a little. On the other hand, if my insomnia would abate, I think I might be more equipped to get a job (I wonder if my sleeplessness if more obvious to others than I know).

    But, bottom line is, I am feeling optimistic. We will get ahold of this insomnia thing and get it under control. I feel like any day now I may get a job or at least an innovative way to bring in enough money so I can stay in my pretty apartment, with my pretty friend Abby still close by.

    I think I just went and hijacked your blog, as I did in times gone by. I am sorry!

    But seriously, I am thrilled for you at your progress on Jenny Craig, and I am inspired anew to find ways to increase exercise and cut calories, even on a budget.

    Thank you for your always insightful posts, Lindsay, and for your ongoing openness that I think helps so many of us.

    xoxoxox
    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey LinnyQat girly Q! It's wonderful to hear that you are feeling optimistic. It's actually optimism-inducing for me, at least in terms of my diet and dieting. I may have to try Jenny Craig too one of these days.

    Thinking happy thoughts of you and the Qat.

    Love, Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trish, kick-boxing, WORD! I bet that's fun, and painful. Not for getting kicked or punched (ideally not, anyway) but for the muscles you use whilst kicking and punching. Once in awhile my trainer and I do some punching for a couple of minutes between weights for a cardio ass-kick. And any time I've done a group exercise class that incorporates combat rock I always love it. Way cool. Thanks for the encouragement and three cheers for spring!

    Chico, oh yes, "winter weight". We'll call it that. Definitely the Miaouw and I will be getting out for some serious Vitamin D collection and hiking and fresh air. We are headed in the opposite direction from you in August for a road trip to the Maritimes. Wanna come?!

    Diane, optimism! Fantastic. Diane, if you can feel even a smidgen of optimism, for moments here and there, I think you're doing brilliantly. Very sorry to hear about the insomnia. I hope you had some luck on the weekend figuring it out with the sleep experts. Give that Abby a scritch and a hug for me, and one from the Qat too. xo

    cookie! So nice to hear from you, lovely lady, and to spread the optimism! Wow. I love the power of the blog to inspire and motivate.

    My mom's been doing JC for 7 weeks now. She loves it. Years ago she lost a lot of weight a couple of different times using the Nutrisystem program, which was a precursor to Jenny Craig, with terrible food. She's lost 9 pounds so far.

    And this weekend I got weighed and found I'd lost another 1.4 pounds, so I have officially shed 10 pounds now. Of course, this still puts me 7 or 8 pounds above where I'd managed to get myself last year, but only a killjoy asshole would bring that up.

    Cheers my wonderful friends!

    ReplyDelete