Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Mar 16: Yogging

Hello smatterings!

-- Shout out to non-clickers. Where were you yesterday?! You totally missed the Freudian self-diagnosis and admission of latent pomoherotic lovemaking with my digitus primus! Well, I left it up for you just in case.

So, yogging! Tonight after work I am running with the Ladies of the Cancer. I believe I may have mentioned that a group of us are going to train twice a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays) after work, in preparation for the Sporting Life 10k on May 2. Last Thursday I went out with them for the first time - we ran 2 miles, and it was humiliating, yo's.

Normally when I run on the treadmill, I go for around 10-12 minutes before taking a walking break. I start fairly slowly, then gradually increase my speed - every minute, I ratchet the speed up by a tenth of a mile (goes to counting obsession, Your Honour). I usually do this until I'm running at around 5 to 5.5 mph. So in point of fact, all this time I've been talking about "running", when really, as Ron Burgundy would say, "I believe it's jogging or yogging. It might be a soft j."

But these ladies, these... Sasha Fiercies... well, they actually do run. After we'd been out there five minutes and forty seconds, I glanced at my watch (so as to properly call the time of death). Oy. I was ready for a walking break but we'd only run half the time I normally run before taking a break. I pushed through to 9 minutes and then walked for a minute. We had planned to do 10 and 1s, i.e. run 10 minutes, walk 1. I normally run 12, walk 2. Maybe that's bad form. Well, I finished the run - did it in 25 minutes. Actually, that's about average for me, when I have been running 3 miles in 37-38 minutes. The next day I ran 4 and 1s at 5.5 mph at the gym, and did 2 miles in 24 minutes, so that seemed like progress

Tonight's run is slated to be 2.5 miles. One of the ladies suggested we do 5 and 1s. I am nervous that I will underperform again. But the ladies are all very encouraging and the main thing is, we are all out there gettin 'er done.

But, yeah. I feel fraudulent calling myself a runner. From now on, I am a yogger, and proud of it.



4 comments:

  1. at least you are out there doing it, which is more than I can say for myself. Go girl! Who wants to be a sasha fierce anyways??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Other L-Mac! Outstanding! You're right, Sasha Fierce is a totally stupid moniker. You see I was verrrry subtley dissing those ladies in primo passive aggressive fashion. It is one of my spiritual gifts. Instead, let us both be Linny Milds. Solidarity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LYNSDSEY WITH A Y. i believe she is referring to me AHEM.

    ha ha. seriously, though, i'm so so glad that you are joining us. it's excellent fun and it makes us all better.

    and trust, it's a hard run for me too, i just don't want to seem "weak".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sasha Wrath, ah, mystery solved. I was trying to work out who you were on yesterday's blog, (aside from the only commenter). Anyway, I am ever so grateful to you for pulling this thing together and being such a non-condescending and genuine cheerleader. It's truly great for all of us.

    PS My strength is my willingness to appear weak.

    ReplyDelete