Thursday, December 10, 2009

Dec 10: The Count LOVES to count POINTS!

Greetings blogren,

Business first: lost 5 pounds after my first week of clean living on the DubDub Online plan. Sweet.

Okay, so, I'm sure lots of you are familiar with the Weight Watchers POINTS® system. For those of you who aren't, a quick description:

Instead of counting calories, or "exchanges" as in days of yore, you count points. The number of points you're allowed to eat per day depends on your weight. I am permitted 21 points per day. Points are calculated based on calories, fat content and fibre content. Generally speaking, a point is about 50 calories. But foods that are packed with lots of fibre and are low in fat can have more calories in them.

Okay, so, you're reading that, doing rough calculations in your head and thinking to yourself, 50 calories x 21 points = 1050...? Is Weight Watchers trying to starve you?! No, see this is the fun part. In addition to your daily allotment of points, you get 35 flex points to use throughout the week, however you want to spread them out. So if you're going to a big party, you can blow a wad and eat cake or whatever. Or you can just add an extra 5 points per day to your regular allotment. It's up to you. I love that, because psychologically, it lets me feel free to binge on occasion. I'm sure that there are some who think this is probably a flaw, in terms of encouraging or enabling that behaviour. Personally I feel that allowing myself the occasional opportunity to go a little crazy is the only thing that's going to keep me on what I would otherwise think of as Austerity Measures.

But that's not all! In addition to the 35 flex points, you can earn more points through the week through activity and exercise. I'm not exactly sure, but my feeling is that you earn 1 activity point for every 100 calories burned, more or less. There's a little calculator that looks at duration and intensity.

I am a person who loves to count. I'm not in it for this healthy lifestyle crap. Please. Pounds! Inches! Calories! Or, in the gym, reps! Minutes! Weights! Calories burned! So, with the online DubDub program, you get this cute little tracker that allows you to plug in all your points consumed, earned, saved, etc. Oh it's a counting bonanza all day long! I must say, I have been far more diligent about walking to work since starting up with the DubDub last week. It's about a 20-25 minute walk each way, so if I walk to and from work, I save money on subway fare and I earn TWO! TWO Activity Points, ah, ha ha haaaaaaa!

Good times.


7 comments:

  1. i think weight watchers is a pretty good plan for losing weight, but i have found that nearly everyone i know who did it went back to their normal eating habits within 3 months of hitting their target....so use the lessons on eating healthfully after you hit your goal!

    GO TEAM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is with the internet these days? I left a message and then *poof*! Anyway I have a friend who did WW and started in 05ish I think. She's been a lifetime member for a long time. Certainly not the usual case but I know it can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Counting, huh? You are certifiably, a hoot.

    My thing is maps. If I could find a food map that was fun and had some topographical features, man, I'd be a stick figure of my former self.

    Keep it up. Sounds good to me.

    XO,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. I've joined also, however, while I will begin tracking and getting in that habit there is no way in hell that I am going to try to lose weight this month. That starts in January. Maybe sooner if I feel like it but at this point we're being given dinners and desserts for bereavement and I dunna wanna worry about it.

    I think its a good idea to get started with exercising again tho, and tracking that.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kat, so many k/c/qats in my life these days! Always nice to have another. Yeah, no illusions here on the often transient nature of weight loss. I've lost weight on DubDub before and gained it back. I've lost weight on Jenny Craig and gained it back. I've lost weight on my own and gained it back. How I describe myself on my YouTube channel: "Like a hamster pushing a rock up a wheel-shaped hill."

    One of these days, maybe it will stick. Meantime, I carry on. GO TEAM!

    Taar, wow, Lifetime Member since 05! That's an accomplishment. The longest time I managed to maintain a substantial weight loss was around a year and a half. I think I need to master my mood swings to have any lasting success. Anyway, so awesome, glad to have you on TEAM DUBDUB!

    Patti, oh you need to join Map Watchers. If only they had one. Well maybe you can start one in your living room and then sell it to a corporate interest and retire with cash enough to decorate your new mansion in map-related paraphernalia. Heaven.

    Dylan, right the fuck on!!!! I can't believe you done joined, just like that! Very cool. As for bereavement eats: you've slightly earned it, darling Dylan. Enjoy this time with your friends and family.

    Totally agree about the need to amp up the exercise. Walking to work is a good start for me, but it's not enough. Twice a week 90 minute workouts is also good. I'd like to amp that up to 3-4 times a week. Something to focus on in the New Year, perhaps.

    GO TEAM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, just so you know I am with you all too. I am not following the WW diet, or at least I don't know the points system, but as long as I hold back the carbs I lose weight. And if I can just keep getting myself out of the house even for brisk walks I am doing okay. Lost 3 pounds in the last week.

    Yay everybody! xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. On counting...

    have you seen this site?

    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

    I was sooper addicted when I was last a WW member as I found, like you, that 1 activity point equaled about 100 calories burned.

    ReplyDelete