Thursday, December 17, 2009

Dec 17: Vintage!


Heya folks!

Quick update: lost only half a pound this week. Which bugs me, but this time around I am already prepared to accept the fact that my body really, sincerely, genuinely loves fat and is very reluctant to let it go. I am practicing compassion for my hips, thighs, boobs, arms... change is never easy.

Now on to business: I have a very special treat for you today! Tremendous thanks to SuperBarb for sending me the link!

For you career dieters out there, I know you've done the Dub Dub before. Can you remember what the program looked like when you first signed up? My first time was back in 1984. I wish I still had the materials. I can visualize them still. Instead of the POINTS system, the program referred to food "exchanges". You were allowed a certain number of exchanges per day from each food category: fruits (I think veggies were probably still "free" back then?), meats, dairy, starches and fats. So it was a little bit stricter and probably slightly more nutritious because the program was based on recommended daily allowances for each food group. With the POINTS system, you can eat chocolate or a Big Mac or whatever, so long as you track the number of points in it. It's basically a fancy way of counting calories.

Well anyway. I am curious to hear your thoughts on previous iterations of the Weight Watchers program. But that's an aside. The reason I got to thinking about such things is because Barb sent me a link to this HI-larious website featuring scans of Dub Dub recipe cards from 1974! Outrageous gross and fantastic, all at once!

The site is the work of Wendy McClure, a Chicago area writer who discovered these cards in her parents' basement. You have to read her comments alongside each of the recipe cards. Holy shit they're hysterical! She even wrote a book about them! Holiday gift ideas, anyone?

Thanks again to Barb. Fan-friggin-TAStic find!


6 comments:

  1. Oh man! This so makes me wish I had saved the huge box of Betty Crocker recipes from the 1970's. Oh the delightful recipes they featured! We used to sit around and open the box for entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever make it up to the cottage I have a bookcase full of recipe books from the 50's on. It's amazing what they jellied in aspic back then... UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice checking in...

    that jellied tomato in a brandy snifter looks like monkey brain.

    Btw, I wanted to recommend giving up complex carbs. You will shed the poundage.

    Also do you keep a food diary, that can help a lot. It really helps to see your patterns on paper. Taking them out of your head weakens
    them.

    Okay, that is all I have for now, will post more as it come to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Melon Mousse, however they all make me laugh. And seriously, how about all that mackerel?? I don't know if I've ever even had mackeral, much less make "Fluffy Mackeral Pudding" or "Mackerelly" - is mackerel some secret diet ingredient that has been forgotten along the way?

    Lins, I'd start eating JUST mackerel and see how that works out for you. You know, because better you than me.

    No one has ever called me SuperBarb before - you rock!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taar, I am seriously thinking about buying the book. I think in the book she includes the recipes, too. Imagine having a party featuring food made with these recipes? Oy.

    Jen, why am I not surprised to hear this! I had to google "aspic" although I had a sense of what it was from the context. Wikipedia featured an image of aspic with chicken and eggs and I nearly lost my breakfast.

    Hi Janice! Thanks for dropping by. And thanks for your support and advice. I tried the Atkins diet for the first time in my long and storied career of weight loss and regain, back in August. It was the first time I'd ever tried giving up carbs (almost) completely. Last winter when I first started this blog, I made a conscious choice to cut back on simple carbohydrates, i.e. sugar, pasta and bread made with bleached flour, etc. I think the complex carbs, which are mostly in veggies, lentils and grains, are generally considered a good thing to have in your diet. I am a sugar addict and it's a real struggle for me to stop eating it once I start. When I was on Atkins, I did find I was not craving it as much, which was interesting.

    As for the food diary, the Weight Watchers system is all about tracking what you eat. It definitely keeps you a lot more mindful and present when it comes to deciding what to put in your mouth. I do find it quite helpful.

    SuperBarb, it's about time someone recognized you officially as the superior crime-fighting being that you are!

    Oh my goddess, the mackerel. THE MACKEREL! I mean, holy mackerel, you know? Insane. I just had a flash of Dan Aykroyd's Bass-O-Matic. I wonder how how it would taste with mackerel?

    PS we will be seeing you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. janice again,

    just to clarify, complex carbs are those that come from grains or grain products and potatoes, root veggies and legumes. Root veggies are actually okay to have in moderation. Legumes as well if they are properly prepared.

    Simple carbs are those from fruit or suger. They are not long chains so they don't need to me broken down and go directly into energy.

    Just wanted to clear that up as you had it backwards.

    I am not an advocate of the Atkins Diet, but I do know that processed grain products, bread and pasta and others spike the bodies insulin levels and get stored instead of used.

    okay that is all for know.

    ReplyDelete