Friday, March 25, 2011

Mar 25: Pithy nutrition lesson

I’ve been on a mandarin orange kick lately. With the revolutionary advent of free fruit on DubDub’s new Points Plus program, I have been enjoying much more fresh fruit in my diet. I buy mandarins by the bag and eat 2 or 3 in a sitting. Delightful!

So I was remembering a few years back, my dad’s wife mentioning something about the white stuff on oranges being very good for you, and that you should never peel it off for this reason. I mentioned this to Jan once and she wrinkled her nose. The idea with eating an orange as a snack, in her view, is that it takes an extra long time to do so because of the meticulous process of removing all the white stuff. So you feel like you are eating for longer. (That’s one of those dieting trade secrets for y’all – a freebie from my mom!)

So anyway, I looked it up. The white stuff is actually called “pith”, and the scoop is, it’s where the majority of an orange’s nutrients are stored. According to the sciency titled “Food Genetics” blog,

The pith, part of the protection layer for the orange, contains high levels of fiber, anti-cancer agents and important bioflavonoids (an antioxidant). So next time when you have an orange, think twice about peeling off those healthy beneficial white piths.

Apparently, the juice of an orange contains only 25% of the vitamin C found in an orange. Hunh!

So now the challenge goes out to OCDers who are concerned with their health but also like a nice, clean canvas before biting into their juicy fruit!



1 comment:

  1. What about this?

    Any thoughts on people with the skin colour of an orange?

    ReplyDelete