Monday, January 17, 2011

Jan 17: Fat symptoms

I hate wake-up calls. Wish I could chuck my clock radio out the window like an SCTV television set. But they are necessary evils in navigating through a world where our minds and bodies have been segregated into different classrooms.

I've been a pudgy little lady from pretty much day one, but I've always been very healthy. On all of the medical questionnaires I've ever had to fill out for whatever reason throughout the years, it's been a long list of checkmarks in the "no" box, for the most part. I do have mild asthma, exacerbated by cold weather and/or sometimes highly aerobic activity like running. But generally speaking, I am very fortunate.

I've been unhappy with my weight for most of my life, but in the past it was all about vanity. Lately, though, I've been alarmed to find that the extra weight seems to be having physical effects on my ability to get 'er done in the day to day. Probably because there is so much extra weight. Getting up off the sofa is no longer just a mental/emotional challenge - I sometimes find myself struggling to push myself up, much to my horror and embarrassment. My asthma has been much worse than usual. I can't exercise to the level I had become accustomed without my heart rate zooming up - have had to curtail the intensity. That could just be that I let myself get out of shape, but I suspect this is augmented by the sheer volume I am trying to move these days too.

Yikes, guys! My current BMI is 32, which is classified as "Very Overweight". Not yet obese, but even so. I've taken my health for granted because it has come so naturally to me for my whole life. But carrying around all this weight is taking a toll that has me, finally, more concerned about wellness than about hotness. I've put on so much weight around my middle - my waist has disappeared. And I know that belly fat is the most dangerous kind, in terms of heart disease.

Scary.

It's good though - if vanity and/or self-loathing wasn't quite enough to get me back on the wagon, maybe the threat of cardio vascular disease was! Well, either way, I am back on the road to wellness now, and hope you all are taking care of yourselves too.




8 comments:

  1. As if to demonstrate your faith, I am nibbling on baby carrots as we speak.

    Thanks for the good faith, Kat. So nice to hear from you from the happiness of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My big fear is the "middle" weight too. While I've been heavy from time to time, now I'm heavy AND have lost my waist - DANGER BAY!

    We need to get together and discuss with large quantities of alcohol and no food - I'd like to hear how the WW is going...as I'm debating it myself.

    Barbopolous xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superbarb! You are able to comment again; I am glad. For shizzle, we most DEF need a get together. Let's drink our points! It would be awesome to do the DubDub with you. They've changed their system and now fruit is free and I'm finding that makes a huge difference. I will blog more about the new DubDub and my impressions soon.

    Holy hell, are we ALL turning into waistless piggies in our winter blankets?! I know this is terrible to say, but I am comforted to know I'm not the only one. Gah. Bad friend. But the upside of that is we are in it together and can inspire each other out of this thickened state.

    lots of x's and o's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's another reason to take it off while you're young and your metabolism is good: menopause. Effin yikes!

    I'm happy not to have all that bloodletting every month (or any time) and was pretty happy about that part. But, these past holidays have presented too much of a test for me. I failed. I put on more weight than usual and now I'm feeling like I have a bun in the oven. Sweet Mother of Christ!

    Like you, I need to be healthy. Different particulars but essentially the same. I can't afford to get sick.

    Good on you for getting at it again. I'm doing yoga every week but I need to do more. Thanks for putting a voice to the battle.

    Onward troops!

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patti, while I'm young! Ha! And thanks. My metabolism has given me the finger just like my socks give the finger to everyone else.

    Yeah, you know, every time I slip and fall, I wonder if I want to come back again and admit defeat. And every time that I do, I am always gratified by the support and nods of recognition from all my friends who comment. We are all in this together.

    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm also concerned about the combo bmi and your weight around the middle. you are heading toward metabolic syndrome, and that is difficult to get back from. it leads to all sorts of unpleasantness.

    your beautiful brain will always make you hot, but you ALIVE body is an absolute necessity to those of us who admire that brain of yours! keep working toward your goals, lindsay. since i can't be with you in person, you've got my virtual support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trish, thanks so much for your support and your concern. It really has been a wake up call for me. In fact I finally scheduled my annual physical this morning. So I'll talk about all this stuff with my doctor in a couple of weeks as well.

    To be sure, I also worry about my metabolism, although I didn't know there was a "syndrome" so-named. I will look it up and get some info. But I know this up and down thing is a bad, bad scene, and as I get older, it's got to be more about my health than about my vanity. Writing the blog helps me to stay honest with myself about what's going on, and having the gentle concern (without the well-meaning but at times over-bearing advice) from my virtual friends is truly a blessing. Thanks for reaching out!

    xo

    ReplyDelete