Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Sep 8: Exercise: what is it good for?

(Absolutely nothing?!)

I've been meaning to write this blog for about a month. Sorry I'm late. Last month, two friends forwarded the same article to me in one day: an opinion piece that ran in Time magazine entitled Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin. One friend (beloved Rusty_grrl) had spotted the article on Bob Harper's Facebook page (he's the crying personal trainer on Biggest Loser). Bob was not pleased:



The article is an interesting read. I can understand why Bob got a little fist-shakey at it; it isn't that the author is saying exercise is useless, but the headline would suggest otherwise. Casual readers who might not read all four pages and/or just skim for details might come away feeling justified for hanging up the sneakers and becoming reacquainted with the custom-made ass groove on their couch.

Compensation without representation (on the scale)
What the article does say is that exercise can give people who are counting their calories and trying to lose weight a false sense of security in terms of ingesting a few extra calories on days they work out. The author refers to it as "the compensation factor". He cites results from a study that showed women who exercised intensely over a six month period did not lose significantly more than a control group who did not exercise (some even gained!):

Whether because exercise made them hungry or because they wanted to reward themselves (or both), most of the women who exercised ate more than they did before they started the experiment. Or they compensated in another way, by moving around a lot less than usual after they got home.


So, any of you relate to this phenomenon? I know I do! For sure there are plenty of times when I allow myself a little something extra, perhaps as a reward for my good behaviour, or maybe because I'm just plain hungry after a workout.

Honey, can you pick up some more self control on your way home?
The other notion that the author puts forward is that self control or will power is finite in people. You only have so much of it to use:

In 2000 the journal Psychological Bulletin published a paper by psychologists Mark Muraven and Roy Baumeister in which they observed that self-control is like a muscle: it weakens each day after you use it. If you force yourself to jog for an hour, your self-regulatory capacity is proportionately enfeebled. Rather than lunching on a salad, you'll be more likely to opt for pizza.


Seriously? Holy geez, all this time I've been hating myself when I should have been hating science! Fucking science! You screwed me over! Well your secret is out now. Nice to have something else to blame for those times when it's gotta be cake.

Let cooler foreheads prevail
The article does go on to say that, of course, there are many benefits to exercise. ("In addition to enhancing heart health and helping prevent disease, exercise improves your mental health and cognitive ability." - I guess Bob didn't make it to page 3.) But the argument for "sweaty, exhausting, hunger-producing bursts of activity" is not as strong as Bob and Jillian would have you believe (if you choose instead to believe this very comforting article, that is). The author believes low-intensity movement, such as a walk - not even a brisk walk, from the sound of it - is just as effective as doing cardio at the gym.

Hmmmm. I don't know guys. First I have to give up aspartame, now I'm expected to give up my sweaty hairshirt of gym torture? It just don't seem right to me.

What do you all think?


PS Personal exercise update: I took the last 3 or 4 weeks pretty easy, since every time I got more intense, my gimpy left calf muscle yelled at me. Also, I read this article and realized I didn't have to. No, no, I kid! I keed! Anyway, recently I have started running again. It's hard to believe how quickly I got out of shape. I've been running at a super-slow pace, and right now am only doing about 2 miles (2.5 including walking warm-down). My heart rate zooms with the intensity of the effort so I don't consider it safe yet to push myself beyond what I'm doing. I'm just glad to be training again.

I don't think I'm gonna be ready in time for the Toronto Island 10k run - it's less than two weeks away. Frowny faces. Instead, I think I will participate in the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup that weekend. Picking up garbage can actually be a decent workout, especially if you don't eat donuts afterward.


8 comments:

  1. Interesting.

    I am definintly someone that falls prey to the compensation factor. Reading this post I was all, uh-huh..yep...that's familar!

    I haven't done a dang thing at the gym since March when I started yoga, personal instruction, 2x/week. I do intend to do yoga at home between sessions, but so far I haven't. I haven't lost weight that I know of (you know me and my resistance to the scale) but my jeans fit the same since Aprilish. I notice I am more flexible, have better balance, and my muscles are hard when I flex them...awesome!....

    But the main thing I notice after reading your post is that going to yoga doesn't feel the same as "forcing myself to go to the gym" and hence, I don't have that compensation factor. I feel good, energized and more likely to take better care of me on my yoga days, than on my days not doing yoga.

    I think I still need to watch my caloric intake however!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dylan! Great to hear from you. I felt the same way when I was reading the article, although it still doesn't quite sit right with me. When I do a sweaty, intense workout, there is a feeling of accomplishment and wonder at the power of my body, and the power of my will to push through to the end. There's also that tingly sort of feeling that I suppose is adrenaline or whatever? Anyway, I don't think I'll be giving up my gym time as a result of reading this article, but that's because I feel good about the time I spend in the gym.

    It is sometimes a major effort to get out, though, and I totally relate to what you're saying about finding a form of exercise and well-being that doesn't feel like work, something to be endured, etc. Sometimes when I get into a regular groove at the gym, I look forward to the workouts (more likely, I feel a vague sense of unease if I missed one). But it's definitely something I feel that need to force myself to do.

    It's awesome you are feeling the benefits of the yoga! What a great feeling. I measured my thighs recently, and though my weight has not really changed in months, they are now 24", which is a significant loss from the last time I measured them, so that felt like a win.

    Thanks for coming out sweetie. Hope you and yours are well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walk walk walk walk. I love to walk and hike (as long as I wear appropriate shoes, d'oh). I ruptured a lumbar disc a year ago and got through it without surgery, but was left with a moderate case of drop foot. It's been long and was very painful at first but walking a little bit every day helped as much as PT and chiropractic. I'm a believer.

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Patti, for sure, there's nothing not great about walking. It's clean, it's free, it's exercise, it's a time for mindfulness... it's my primary mode of transportation since I moved into the city. Love it.

    V. sorry about your injury. Man, all the cryin I've been doing over my sore calf muscle! Compared to what you've been through, I've been lucky. Glad you're on the mend, fwiend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always struggled with the "all-or-nothing" syndrome. Either I'm in the gym 6 days a week doing an hour of cardio with strength training and stretching, or zippo. I certainly get results with the big workouts, but it's definitely a challenge to keep it going. I also makes it a bit daunting to go back after some time away, knowing what the eventual goal is for maximum results. What I also know is that not many people, including the fit ones, could keep up that pace forever, and as a hrmm... bigger gal, it's super hard.

    I'd like to think Bob Harper would help, although based on what I see him put those Biggest Loser people do, I'd be puking in no time. I don't think balance is his thing, at least on the show. I'll keep looking for the balance that works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linny, thanks for the article. Very interesting. I also found the bit about having only finite willpower enlightening. Please, don't hate the science, embrace it! Now we know we are not to blame ourselves when we run out of willpower. That is why I tend to gain the most weight when I decide to go on a diet. I just stopped doing that. Going to the gym helped me be more streamlined, and in shape, noticeably! I am happy about my experiences there, plus the sauna is absolutely wonderful.

    What I do differently from what is described in the article: 1. I usually indulge in a piece of chocolate or something high-calorie BEFORE I go to the gym. I know I'll burn it off and makes me feel better not having to exercise with an empty stomach. 2. I drink only water, carbonated mineral water. 3. I don't go to coffee shops to eat muffins afterward, but always stop at the fruit stand and buy a few pounds of different fruits. They are great to quench the thirst, too, if I still have some from the exercise.

    But it IS true, I never shed one ounce while I was going to the gym 2-3 times a week. That was very frustrating in the beginning but after I stopped going to the gym for a while I did lose a few pounds. Plus, as I said, I became more toned, which was a bigger reward than losing weight. cheers, ckitty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rush Limbaugh today announced to the world that he is now exercising daily. It's a big deal for him ... he has for many years celebrated his disdain and distaste for it. He has - over the past 8 or 9 months - lost like 80 pounds. He lost the weight dieting ... not exercising. Today though, he told the world - well, his 20 million listeners - why he was now also excercising. It was pretty interesting, after hearing him rail against it for so many years. He insisted today exercise will not help him lose weight: that he's doing it for other reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm curious to know how you're doing. I have heard from a friend that you have made changes in your current diet (if I understand correctly) - weight-loss-strategery - program. This business can sometimes be quite alot about one's spirit, and the mood and attitude of the soul. I know that efforts to adjust body health - well, size and shape - really do involve heart and soul ... I maybe should report that I'm thinking of yours.

    ReplyDelete