Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Jul 20: It didn't take.

Sigh.

Alright, alright, it's not so bad. Mostly I am just supremely frustrated by this recurring sports injury thingy, something I have never really dealt with. I am not an athlete by any stretch, but I guess this is like a micro-dose of how it must feel to be mentally raring to go and having to accept the fact that your body is not in synch with your mind. So you know, naturally, my mind looks to rejoin my body by sidelining the renewed attitude thing. Or something. I don't know.

Last week when I weighed myself, I was coy and did not give up the number because, ugh, it was 156. I just knew that wasn't a real number. So I was diligent all week, just like I said I would be, and by Saturday morning I was 150. Nice. On Sunday I was out at the Acura 10-Miler & 5K with some work colleagues - it was to benefit the Canadian Cancer Society, where I work, so I volunteered to run the 5k as part of a team. So about 20 metres into the run, BOING, my left calf muscle or tendon or whatever the eff is back there causing shit popped out and I had to run the whole thing with this aching calf muscle. Which, dig me, running through the pain. Cut me! Cut me!

Anyway, about that list of vows from last week:

VOWRESULT
do the 10 minute abs video every daydid it on Monday, did the Awesome Abs class at gym on Tuesday, then... nada
exercise 6 days a weekMon, Tues, Wed, Sat, Sun - not bad
stop taking weekends offummmm
be more label conscious at the supermarketmeh
make a video once a weeknope
sign up for Toronto Island 10knot done yet; but this will happen, no question
lose 10 pounds before Sep 20pfffffttt not at this rate
make out with self every daynot even once (sniffle)

This is why I don't set myself goals. How depressing. But I knew I had to get out here and confess or else... shame spiral. In fact, this morning after my cottage cheese and fruit breakfast I ate a whole bag of Kettle Corn. 910 calories. Gulp. I was just feeling rebellious and frustrated, and you know what happens when I get resentful. So, it's back to confessional for me. All I can do is tell you all about it and pray to Holy Oprah, full of grace, to wash away my sins and give me a blank slate to start fresh once again.

I do have a bunch of raw video footage from the 5k which will hopefully be mildly entertaining once I cobble it together. Hopefully get that done some time this week.

Alright, Trigger, get over here so I can get back up on ya. Or... something less stupid and more inspriational. Gah.

PS I am making an appointment this week with a physiotherapist to get my leg looked at. Meantime I've been icing it and stretching it and all that blah, blah, yadda, yadda, so ne worry pas.

9 comments:

  1. Just make one goal. Too many is overwhelming and self-defeating. When I quit smoking, my goal was simply to walk every day. Even if it was down the driveway and back. Even if it was only 5 minutes. Even if I walked slower than a crawling infant. It was a goal I could keep, and keeping it helped me ramp up over time to a seriously awesome regimen.

    I hurt my elbow doing yoga several weeks ago and it still gives the occasional twinge. I'm afraid to do any kind of weight-bearing arm exercise now, which leaves out most yoga. Bummer. So I'm just switching to walking & cycling until I can figure out how to fix the arm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what, that is excellent advice. Thanks Theresa, I really appreciate that. One goal. I will give that some thought and come back here. I feel better already.

    I hope your arm heals soon sweetcheeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S... Is your Qat still there? If so, you should be making out with him, not yourself!

    Brian has a very fast metabolism and eats huge meals and snacks constantly. More proof that men are assholes, I know. Anyway, I don't really eat that much when he's gone; I'm just a lazy slug. It doesn't matter how few calories you ingest if you burn zero.

    When Brian comes to town, he cooks these elaborate meals and I'm practically busting out of my clothes by the time he leaves. (He keeps me up all night too, but that's a different story. "I'm killing you," he says, and doesn't sound all that sorry about it.)

    Sorry to miss you in Canada this week, but maybe I can catch up w/you over Labor Day weekend.

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I like the one goal idea...how about I will only eat 1/2 of the bag of kettle corn LOL. Oh, and when you're feeling rebellious, um...who exactly are you rebelling against? Have no fear, I am not getting all Dr. Feel about it, but rebellion = kettle corn? Dang girl, you're down to 150! That's like you've lost a jillion bags of kettle corn. Email me next time you even consider passing by kettle corn, reaching for it, getting out your wallet, carting it home, opening it or what ever :)

    Oh, and I'm so on board with the men + their metabolisms = a-hole-ness. Add the intense discipline of mine and it just ain't right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Theresa, yes, the Qat continues to meow and nuzzle here in TO. He also continues to lose weight and is close to breaking 200 for the first time in years, so good on him! Although, after we had the Lost Weekend aka Bachelor Party of Nom, he weighed himself and did not want to tell me that, in fact, he was basically at an all time low for recent years. I gamely cheered him on even as I cursed him and his stupid male metabolism.

    That's great to hear you'll be in Canada for Labour Day. Let's definitely make a plan to meet up! Thanks again for the support; I truly appreciate it.

    Kat, I'm going away for the weekend (will be totally offline... GAH!... but when I come back, I'm going to take a look at this setting one goal thing. I may do a weekly or possibly even daily (who am I kidding) blog where I set one goal and then feel all good about myself for achieving it. Positive reinforcement!

    As for the rebellion, this is what the Qat (a.k.a. my Miaouw) refers to as "the Linny pathology". I know I am only hurting myself. It's like, with every handful of Kettle Corn, I am punching myself in the face, and I hear my big brother's voice taunting me: "Quit hittin' yerself!"

    Thanks for the email support. I just may take you up on that. Often times, as part of "the Linny pathology", resisting temptation in one moment sometimes does not kill the urge altogether. There are times when, once the suggestion has been placed, I find resistance from one moment to the next is just putting off the inevitable. Very negative thinking, I realize. It really just depends on where I'm at emotionally.

    I did have an awesome workout yesterday, which did much to improve my state of mind.

    Have a great weekend, Doll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One question: What would Tommy tell you to do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tommy would tell me to quit making excuses because we only have three weeks to get me into that dress. So in a way, the Miaouw has done me a huge favour by not popping the question.

    There's always a bright side, eh Rusty?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lub you man. Kick some back-ass!

    ReplyDelete