Monday, May 04, 2009

May 4: I am the champion!

Hey guys, sorry I didn't post an update yesterday. I was hoping to have the video done, but there's a lot of editing needed because I'm adding subtitles to half the footage because it was so loud and the sound on the Miaouw's camera is not the greatest.

Anyway, I will post a blog with the video later. Possibly tonight.

So, the big event! I made it! I finished in a time that was faster than my best-hoped-for time. Unbelievable. Awhile back during training, I ran 5 miles in 59:48, which I thought was really great, because I was able to average 5 miles an hour, even with walking breaks. So with that time in mind (and the run being 1.2 miles short of a 10k), I calculated that if I could maintain that speed on race day, I could finish in 75 minutes.

Then I went to California and tried running outside in the gently rolling hills of Orinda. I'd been training all winter on a treadmill, and I hadn't even done any hill training on the machines at the gym because I was focussing on achieving distance. I have some kind of weird block about running outside, so I kept putting off doing any training outdoors. The California runs were a disaster; I gave up after 2k on the first day, and 1.5 k on the next. It was very disheartening. So I revised my estimated race day time. I thought, 75 minutes would be OUTSTANDING, 80 minutes would be really good, but most likely I would wind up somewhere between 80-85 minutes if my running in Orinda was any indication of how I ran outdoors.

So, guess what my time was. GUESS! Okay I'll tell you. I finished in 1:09:07. Yes, that's 69 minutes – faster than I ever imagined I would or could go at this point in my running ability. I know it's still pretty slow for a lot of people, but I was absolutely thrilled with the time. I felt pretty strong out there; I even ran up the few hills the course presented with relative ease. It was just freakin awesome.

A huge, massive shout out to my girl Christy, for getting up on a Sunday morning and dragging herself down to Yonge & Elm and giving me the best high five of my life and screaming and cheering for me as I passed. I wish I could have stopped to hug her. Next time we see each other, I'm gonna hug the stuffin outta you!!!

And of course, huge shout out as well to my Miaouw, for waking me up (almost missed the whole damn thing because I forgot to turn the volume up on my clock radio), going up to the starting line with me, and then struggling valiantly for the next hour and a half to make it to the finish line, though the TTC fought him at every turn. (The Yonge subway does not start operating on Sundays until 9 a.m., and of course the Yonge bus was being diverted -- all the way over to freakin Avenue Rd -- because Yonge St was closed for the race.) So, he didn't get to see me cross the finish line, but then again, all my fretting while I waited and waited and waited to be herded out with all the other runners to the exit was for naught, since he wasn't even there yet anyway. Seriously, it's totally ridiculous how they have the end of the race set up. You cross the finish line, totally psyched, and then there's this massive line up ahead of you of thousands of runners, walking at a snail's pace, if that, waiting to get our medals and then pass through the eye of the needle to the "post race party" (as if). It was totally insane. There wasn't even a water stand until I'd been waiting in line for 15 minutes. And by the time I was finally out of there, my legs were cramping from lack of stretching.

Well, whatever, who cares. We found each other, wandered around Harbourfront for the next hour and a bit, and had a victor's brunch at the Richtree Market in the BCE place. Then we went home and I napped for 3 hours.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all of you who've encouraged me to do this. And most especially to those who pledged my fundraising efforts for Camp Oochigeas. I didn't promote it at all, just through this blog, and even so managed to raise $300 for kids with cancer to go to camp and have a great summer. Everybody wins (but I am the champion, my friends)!

More later...

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on your awesome cool achievement.

    BPatti

    PS - I could tell how sublimely happy you were with the man in the next room in your last video. Heh. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey BeePster, thanks for the congrats. I was indeed sublimely happy... back then... he took off on a jet plane this a.m.

    But we'll be reunited for summer in just a few short weeks, so I think I'll get over it.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! Go you! That's so, so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaawww, Taarnaaaaaaagggggghh, so glad to share the victory with you! I can feel your happy energy pulsing through the pixels. Thanks, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME!!!!!! You are an inspiration.

    dalcini

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dal! Thanks so much for checking me out over here on Blogger and for being all nice and supportive and such. Much obliged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Speedy Gonlinnyqat!

    Congratulations! That's a very respectable time, especially considering you haven't been running for all that long, and rarely outdoors.

    You mentioned perhaps doing another 10K later this year. I think you should, with the goal of trying to beat your current time. You can do it!

    Again, muchos congratulationes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jazzy, thanks man! Yes, I decided that I will definitely enter the Toronto Island 10k, happening on September 20. That gives me all summer to train and improve my time. Some day I'd like to be able to do a 10k in an hour. I don't know if that will happen this summer, but it gives me something to shoot for. Your advice and support has meant so much to me in this process. Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete