Monday, August 17, 2009

Aug 17: Life on Atkins

So I've been on the Atkins plan for a week and a half now and I gotta say... LOVING IT! Before I go any further (and this is not because I think y'all are gonna sue me or anything), I want to say that I am still considering this an experiment, I am not endorsing it as a magic cure or advocating it as a solution for everyone or for anyone other than me, and even for me, who knows. I'm just saying, I feel awesome.

Here's what's working for me:

No sugar or bread/pasta cravings
I don't find I am missing out on processed carbs like bread and pasta and potatoes. Once in a while (usually after a meaty kinda meal) I think something sweet would be nice, but I don't feel dogged by cravings. Of course, it's early times yet. There is a theory that the less sugar you eat, the less you crave it, and I think that's true, but I don't know if that theory accounts for the psychological or emotional cravings that come later, and may be related to feelings of deprivation, or maybe other stuff going on in your life that's not related to diet and eating. It's early times. So we'll see if it holds. But for now, I feel very satisfied on this eating plan.

Chewing (and swallowing) the fat
I think one thing that is making a difference is not having to hide from fat. Food that is prepared with fats like butter, olive oil or... dare I suggest... bacon grease - it tastes way better. So I am not feeling deprived, I am feeling the opposite. I've never eaten so much cheese in my life! I have four kinds in my fridge right now! It's unbelievable!

Ketosis is keeping me honest
Also working for me: in order for the Atkins approach to work, you can't really "cheat" or have a few extras here and there, the way I have in the past with low fat, calorie reduced diets. The whole point of cutting down so drastically on your carbohydrate intake is to cause your metabolism to switch from burning glucose as its primary fuel source (once carbs are ingested, the body converts them to glucose and uses it as fuel; excess glucose gets stored as fat) to burning fat as its primary fuel source. This is why you can eat so much fat on the diet - it gets burned right away to fuel your body, and once your body is using fat as fuel, it turns to stored fat and starts burning that too. When your body starts burning fat as its fuel, you're in ketosis.

So anyway, science lesson aside, the point is, from a behavioural perspective, there is sort of a built-in cheat-protection on this plan. I don't take weekends off, or figure it's fine to have a slice of cake at the office or whatever because I'm going to the gym after work. (And again, I must stress: NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT! I actually like that approach, i.e. a little something called "moderation" or "balance" or as some might say, "a bit of frigging perspective".) But the way I was going the past few months, I just needed a more disciplined approach, and in order for Atkins to work, I have to trust the science, since I can't trust myself to veer just a little off course without winding up in Albuquerque.

As for my weight loss thus far...
Well, I'm not exactly sure. I was too depressed to weigh myself at the outset, so I can only estimate what my starting weight was, based on the way my clothing (didn't) fit. I reckon I was between 158-160, but can't say for sure. This morning I am 151.5. I am not saying I've lost minimum 6.5 pounds thus far; I'm sure some of that was water and whatever. When I weigh myself next weekend it will be more telling. Would be nice to finally start losing at a decent rate. I wouldn't mind an average of 2 pounds a week, which is safe. I'm not looking for a quick fix; just want my metabolism to do its part if I'm gonna bust my hump six days a week in the gym.

So anyway, very cool. I'm encouraged. We shall see what continues to unfold...

PS Lola says upside down meow.


17 comments:

  1. Fucking fantastic! I have a GF & her husband that've been on Atkins for a couple years. They both look good. I looked at the book & charts & felt like it was too much math for me ;). I am encouraged by your report. YAY.

    XO,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much beer can you have on Atkins? Like a case a day or what?
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patti, goddamn you're the greatest. It cheered me no end to read that "Fucking fantastic!" Thanks for that.

    I will say that, at least whilst adjusting to this new way of eating, there is a LOT of fussing with carb counters and reading up about what kinds of things may impede ketosis and whatnot. The latter is actually quite interesting - I'm enjoying reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, although his enthusiasm is at times runs a bit long. I started scanning some of it because, geez, okay, I get it, it works. Shut up and tell me how already!

    Anyway, yeah. Math. Luckily for me the Dawg is out of town and I need a hobby.

    Mac, you cheeky monkey! How excellent to hear from you here! No booze on Atkins during "Induction" (the first two weeks). After that, I think alchohol is sort of officially frowned on but allowable. My girl Barb advised me in my previous post that Vodka and Diet Coke has ZERO carbs, so, hey, your place or mine?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Linny Go! You're awesome possum. Thanks for posting without my having to whip out the cattle prod. If I didn't drink wine at night, I'd be thin. So, hubby is starting the move to Tennessee mid September so I'll be vin free for a while and that should help loads (of fat). Please give a summary of your exercise, have you always been into it, or was it a new found fun activity or is it still drudgery?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kat, thanks for stopping by, girlfriend. The vino is one of the very few vices I have not succombed to in this life. However, I am only 40. There is still time. It does help to have an empty household when trying to get into a habit or groove. My guy's been gone for a couple of weeks and transitioning to Atkins has been a breeze.

    As far as exercise, that sounds like a blog topic unto itself. Watch for one in the next day or two...

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I am still looking forward to a night of vodka and DC with you when you're done your induction!

    I may, however, stick to the beer myself...

    Happy all is going well with this! Kudos to you!

    Actually, I have a friend who was on it for a number of years and it really helped a lot of IB issues she had. Not that that's relevant, but for whatever reason it seemed to practically cure her.

    Barb xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, when do I get to have the diet of a puma? The Royal Canin kibble is OK, but how about some glorious proteil-laden Fancy Feast™?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Barbie, thanks for the drop-by support. That's interesting about your friend with IB. I have not read anything about the Atkins diet having a positive effect on gastro-instestinal stuff, but whatever, if it's working for her, awesome. This sciencey nutrition stuff is sort of mystifying.

    I am glad it's working for me, but the big challenge will be finding a way to maintain it, I'm sure (as you well know). Meh, I can't worry about that right now. Stay in the moment.

    Having said that, I am looking ever-so-slightly into the future when we have vodka and beer dinner together. I still remember fondly that first time out after reconnecting after so many years, when we closed the Abbott. Plus the other times, obv. Anyway. xo!

    Lola, you get the puma diet when you start hunting pigeons, puma style. Staring menacingly out the window just isn't cutting it.

    PS you're very cute when you're upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linnyqat, sorry for the long absence from commenting but I have been reading faithfully. Your progress on the Atkins diet is awesome, and so is the way you are feeling. You are an inspiration as always!

    I wish I could do Atkins but I fear how my body might overreact to ketosis (even though I'm not diabetic, the lupus does really weird stuff). I have to go back and find that book that one of your other commenters recommended. I know diets don't work, but I also had a lot of success with the Fit for Life approach when I was in my thirties. Alas, my metabolism is not what it was, and I continue to struggle. Who knows, maybe I should resort to Louise Hay at this point. Just kidding. Sort of, or not really.

    Anyway I am glad to be here to say hi to you and to say how glad I am to have a wonderful friend like you. And yeah, Lola looks incredibly cute in that picture......kinda reminds me of....of.....(but I won't say his name, or hers either, though there may be news on that front before too long).

    hugs!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Diane! Great to hear from you. Yeah, I was reading some more of my primary reading material (the Atkins book) last night. There are certain pre-existing conditions that don't mix well with ketosis (I think particularly people who have kidney problems). But it seems to me that if you're messing around with your metabolism and forcing your body to change how it derives its fuel and stuff, seems like the kind of thing that could have spill-over effect in terms of how your body works. I don't know. Ass-talkin' as usual here.

    But I think in general most people can benefit from cutting back on excessive amounts of carbohydrates in their diet, especially the sugar and the processed stuff.

    I am keeping my paws crossed that we hear some meows coming from WBurg/Greenpoint soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um, I'm all for being out on the balQATny. Some "people" think I'm too much of a pea brain to stay off the railing or that if I do go on the railing, I'll flub it & be one flat-as-a-pancake Lola. Harrrumph! Gnnnaiiiggn!

    Damn straight I'm cute upside-downie! Look at those belly spots. Obey them. Canadian scientists use them to calibrate their instruments...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you had fun out there with the oysters!

    The last time I know (for sure) I went ketonic, I was really happy -- it was fun. I enjoyed the whole thing. I didn't follow, exactly, the Adkins directions, but that was pretty much what I was doing. I only learned, reading - just now - that the metalic taste in my mouth for part of the time was from the Ketosis.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lola wants to know what ribeye tastes like. Better than Fancy Feast?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need an update on how this is going! Get on that, willya?
    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lola, wow, grouchypants! You know I only restrict your freedom out of love, and a total lack of trust in the size of your brain. But I'll agree about the natural phenomenon that is your spots. (I'm concerned about the grammar here but ultimately I'm sure it doesn't matter, when conversing with a [spectacularly spotted] pea-brain.)

    Oh and by the way, rib eye is fantastic. (Though I can't weigh in on how it compares to Fancy Feast, thank cat.)

    Fred! You came back! I had a wonderful weekend, thank you (everybody else: I very last minute jetted off to the Bay Area in California to spend the weekend with the Miaouw for his birthday). Alas, I discovered that 6 oz of oysters contain a ketosis-busting 11.5 carbs, so... no oysters for me.

    I really only noticed the metallic taste for the first week or two. Some people get really harrrrible breath when in ketosis, but as far as I know, mine hasn't really changed. Others may differ.

    Barb, oy, yes. I keep meaning to be more diligent and then wind up reverting to slob form. I will update very soon, promise. Thanks for your interest. A bit of prodding always helps.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OYSTERS have carbs??? That's effed up. I would never have thunk it.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know, weird. Shellfish do tend to have some carbs. I guess because they are so delicioush.

    ReplyDelete