Sunday, April 26, 2009

Apr 26: weekly results viddie, featuring LOLA!

Hello faithful handful!

I had a lazy day with the Miaouw today. Had planned to do a run tonight but... didn't. Oh well. I made a new video for you anyway.

My thoughts are consumed with the Sporting Life 10k run next weekend. I'm nervous that I'm gonna suck out loud. I mean, I know, I know, it doesn't matter what my time is, at least I'm doing it, blah blah justificationcakes. I know that whatever happens this year will just be a starting point to measure my progress against in years to come. I think it's a good idea to think of it that way, as a multi-year plan, looking forward to sustaining an active lifestyle instead of just adopting it for a short period of time in an effort to lose weight.

I don't know if I'll ever get used to running outside (I always feel like I'm hurrying somewhere, like I'm late and panicky, instead of just settling into a rhythm, like I do on the treadmill), but I'll commit to doing at least this one run every year, and trying to improve my time. I may never try to run for a longer distance, who knows, but I will definitely continue to run after next weekend. I like the challenge, and I like pushing myself to better my numbers every week. For awhile I was running at 5 mph (which, who are we kidding, has technically got to be classified as a jog). Lately I push it up to 5.5 mph and see how long I can sustain that speed. Then when I run at "just" 5 mph, I feel like I can go for a lot longer before I need to rest.

I've decided that a time of 80 minutes next Sunday would be outstanding, but I would be happy with 85. If I come in past 90, I will have suffered out there. I did run 5 miles (8 km) in one hour on the treadmill, a week and a half ago. I don't know if I can do that kind of time running outside. We shall see. Fun! Well, thinking about it now is fun, and reflecting on it when it's over will be. I don't expect the run itself will be too, too fun. I think it will be something to endure and to feel powerful and accomplished about as soon as it's over.


3 comments:

  1. Lola's pretty friggin' cute, I gotta say.

    I'm sure you'll do fine on your run next Sunday. Be sure to take advantage of all the water stations. If you get hot when you run (I do, I sweat like ... um, I dunno, something that sweats a lot), pour some water on your head. I find that helps a lot.

    Good luck I'll be thinking of you! Glad to know you'll have a fan along the course to cheer you on!

    -Jazz-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, that Lola... she coasts through life on her good looks, and who can blame her.

    Thanks again for all the great advice. I look forward to dumping water on my head, just like a real live athlete!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I am a SWEAT MACHINE. It is not attractive. Plus, it gets in my eyes and stings.

    ReplyDelete